Sunday, April 1, 2018

The Cheat Sheet

If you have made it this far, then I’m assuming you want to do Whole 30, and you just need more information. If you need more info on what Whole 30 is go here, if you want to know why I do Whole 30, go here.

Tips for being successful on Whole 30



We will get into the the more in depth part later - but seriously, if you want to be successful, here are my three biggest tips.

Do it with someone else

It could be a friend, your spouse, a co-worker, it really doesn't matter. What does matter is that you have someone to share your enjoyment and pain with as well as share recipes, share food, share the whole experience. The people who I find are most successful on Whole 30 do it with someone else. 

Make breakfast and lunch simple 

You can make dinner simple as well, but breakfast and lunch should be super simple. I usually eat the same thing every day for breakfast (3 eggs and an avocado) and then leftovers for lunch. It doesn't have to be fancy, it doesn't have to take long, but doing the same thing over and over for these meals will make your life a whole lot easier. Some of my favorite recipes to follow. 

Have an emergency food stash 

I get hangry (hungry + angry) and make bad decisions when I am hungry. I always have W30 compliant snacks on hand to make sure I have something to snack on if I get hungry. 

A few of my "emergency foods" include: 

  • Compliant Larabars (full list here)
  • Fruit (Tons of bananas and apples… and whatever else is on sale - For me fruits are critical because it helps with the sugar hangovers.) 
  • Veggies (Carrots, cauliflower, etc.)
  • Nuts (Cashews, pistachios... and NOT peanuts, they're legumes :) )  
  • Almond Butter (probably too much, but paired with bananas... yum) 
  • Flavored Seltzer Water (not a food, but delicious)
  • Aidelle's Chicken Apple Sausages (found by the hot dogs - make a great snack or meal) 

Planning Meals:


Try meal plan as early as possible. I try to do it every Sunday to make sure that I have a good game plan for the week.

Breakfast

I usually eat the same thing over and over again. You don't have to, but to me it makes sense and makes planning that much easier. Pick one (or if you want to switch it up, many) of the below.

Snack

You're not really supposed to snack on Whole 30... I do or else I get real cranky... I was going to post a list but it turns out all of the "emergency foods" above are exactly what I eat for snacks. 

Lunch

I'm a big fan of cooking a bunch of food for dinner and having leftovers for lunch. Do it, it makes life way easier. One of the biggest concerns before people start Whole 30 is that they have a lot of business lunches. If that's you - then try to plan ahead and find some Whole 30 friendly restaurants - Chipotle, Jason's Deli, or anywhere that can semi-custom make food for you. I have also been that awkward guy who ate a packed lunch before going to lunch and then just got a salad (with oil + vinegar on the side!) 

Dinner

I love crock pot recipes, and anything that is 5 ingredients or less. As mentioned in the lunch section - make more than you think you need and have it for lunch the next couple of days. 

Here’s a list of my favorite Whole30 Meals

Condiments 

Yes, they deserve their own section - condiments are delicious and they make food way better. 



Other Awesome Tools

If you ever get confused about what is good and what is bad to get at the grocery store, there is an awesome PDF that is available at https://whole30.com/downloads/book-shopping-list.pdf... I like to take a screen shot of this and keep it on my phone to use while I go shopping.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 4 Meal Planning

Hopefully everyone has hit the mysterious "tiger blood" phase by now. Here are our meals for week 4! Meals for the week ...